The 18th century Vauban citadel of Alba Carolina in Romania, constructed by Giovanni Morando Visconti during the times of the Habsburgic empire was restored 2010-2013 after 100 years of neglect. August was an eventul month there, with the Dilema Veche festival and a symposium about the future of Romanian heritage.
The entrance to Alba Carolina, with fortification, and the two churches
Alba Iulia exists since Roman times (named Apulum), and has a special importance for Romanian history since here the unification of provinces took place. The unification room will be place of pilgrimage the coming year, at the 100 years anniversary of the second unification, after that of Mihai Viteazu in the Middle Ages (1600-1601). The Roman ruins were integrated in the circuit.
Giovanni Morando Visconti was one of the most important representants of military architecture, works of whom can be found also elsewhere in Romania, such as Cluj-Napoca. The original plans are kept in different locations in Europe, including in Karlsruhe, Germany and are worth more dedicated research. But Alba Iulia is his representative work.
The Vauban like fortress was not only restored, but the walls were configured as urban public space for the promenade of the visitors who come here to see the monuments and the change of the Austrian guard. Different transport means are available.
This was the biggest restoration project in Romania, but the authenticity of the works is subject of discussion.
The original LE:NOTRE Projects were co-funded by the European Union's Socrates and Lifelong Learning Programmes.
The LE:NOTRE Institute has been established by ECLAS as foundation under Netherlands Law.