8th of July the opening of the exhibition on Crosses took place at the Museum of Bucharest in Villa Minovici. The museum features other temporary exhibitions, such as the Lost gardens (both from the Faculty of Urbanism of "Ion Mincu" University) and a temporary exhibition on lost hospitals. The villa and the garden were recently restored in a 2 year process.
Maria Bostenaru 2017 / CC BY
Villa Minovici garden
1906 the villa Minovici, work of architect Cristofi Cerchez, also called the "villa with bells" opened. Nicolae Minovici was an important personality of the medical world. After a moved history, the villa is today one of the sites of the Museum of Bucharest. It is situated in the north of the capital, an area with numerous valuable villas, next to the fountain of Mioritza and the Baneasa railway station.
In line with other exposed items of peasant heritage, the villa features now in the conference room the exhibition "The corss - element of print of residential space" featuring crosses in the landscape in several counties of Wallachia. The conference room itself is a new item, under the ground, not to disturb the garden in frame of which it was inserted with the restoration works.
The villa reopened to the public after 2 years of restoration in 2016. European fund cofinanced the restoration. The garden was also restored, including the sculptural stone elements by Emil August von Becker, sculptor of German origin who studied in Italy. These are flower pots and benches in the garden, but also the stone decoration of the villa in New-Romanian style itself.
The Association History of Art is organising guided tours to see the restored villa.
The original LE:NOTRE Projects were co-funded by the European Union's Socrates and Lifelong Learning Programmes.
The LE:NOTRE Institute has been established by ECLAS as foundation under Netherlands Law.