Vienna International Garden Show 1964 Retrospective
50 years ago the opening of the Vienna
International Garden Show (Wiener Internationale Gartenausstellung, WIG 1964)
was celebrated in today's Donaupark in Viennas 22nd district.
TV Tower in Vienna's Donaupark
Attractions of the garden show included the new Danube Tower
with a revolving restaurant, a chairlift that would allow visitors to see the flower
beds from above, a 41 meter high greenhouse tower, modern pavilions and a lake
created for the exhibition. The show was Europe’s largest of its kind and drew
the attention of more than 2 million visitors. At the same time one of the
largest parks in Vienna was created in an area that used to be – among other
things – a waste dump.
An exhibition at the Vienna Museum (Wien
Museum) now provides insights to the history and project development of the
show and, above all, its impact on urban planning in post-war Vienna. The
exhibition was curated in cooperation with the Vienna University of Life
Sciences, Institute for Landscape Architecture.
In parallel the museum currently houses
another temporary exhibition on a different large scale event which was shaping
the urban structure further back in time themed ‘The Metropolis Experiment –
Vienna and the 1873 World Exhibition’. The World Exhibition marked another
important period of transformation and rapid growth of the city and took place
in Viennas Prater Park.
The original LE:NOTRE Projects were co-funded by the European Union's Socrates and Lifelong Learning Programmes.
The LE:NOTRE Institute has been established by ECLAS as foundation under Netherlands Law.